The cozy months of fall inspire us to bake our favorite recipes of the season. Warming the house with golden cornbread that has a crisp top and soft crumb is a fragrant autumn delight.
We love to spice up the subtle sweetness of this classic dish with Jalapeño Sesame Salsa, which is available at Cafe Yumm!® restaurants, stirred right into the batter. (Want to be in on our secret lingo? Ask for Jal-Ses!™) It’s also delicious with a dollop of Chipotle Yumm! Sauce® on top instead of butter.
Bring these Yumm! cornbread muffins to your next holiday party to wow the crowd. This recipe can also be used as a base for cornbread stuffing. With a unique touch of flavorful heat, this special cornbread will quickly become a beloved tradition.
Jalapeño Sesame Cornbread
• 1 1/4 cup cornmeal (medium grind)
• 1 cup buttermilk
• 2 eggs
• 1/2 cup honey
• 1/3 cup Jal-Ses™ Salsa (available at Cafe Yumm! restaurants)
• 1/4 cup melted butter
• 3/4 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
• 2 tsp baking powder
• 1/2 tsp baking soda
• 1/2 tsp salt
• Optional: 1 jalapeño pepper, sliced with seeds removed
• Optional: Chipotle Yumm! Sauce
1. Preheat oven to 375°F.
2. Combine cornmeal and buttermilk in a large bowl and let sit for 10 minutes.
3. Stir in the eggs, honey, Jalapeño Sesame Salsa, and melted butter.
4. In a separate bowl, thoroughly combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Add to the cornmeal mixture and stir until you have a uniform batter.
5. For pan loaf: Pour into a greased 8×8 pan, top with jalapeño slices, and bake for about 25 – 30 minutes or until golden. A toothpick inserted in the center should come out clean. Let cool slightly before serving.
6. For muffins: Grease with butter or use paper liners in a standard 12-serving muffin tin. Fill tin cups 3/4 full with batter and top with jalapeño slices. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until golden and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let cool slightly before serving.
7. Optional: Spread Chipotle Yumm! Sauce or butter on top before serving.