Hummus is a timeless favorite. Thanks to its perfect simplicity, this creamy blend of spiced chickpeas is an easy and delicious go-to for quick meals, snacks, and party trays. Nourishing and versatile, hummus makes a wonderful spread on wraps and sandwiches or a savory dip for veggies, warm toasted bread, and seeded crackers.
The humble chickpea dates back more than 7,500 years in Turkey and was one of the first legumes ever cultivated. Today the demand for plant-based proteins is on the rise across the US, and chickpeas have seen a surge in popularity with smooth, luscious hummus as the gateway. While the origin is unclear, cultures from Egypt to the Middle East to Greece hold their own unique stories and customs for this world-famous mashed garbanzo bean dip.
The traditional recipe calls for tahini (sesame seed paste), but we love adding Original Yumm! Sauce® instead to transform the classic hummus into Yummus! If you feel bold, Chipotle or Roasted Garlic Yumm! Sauce® would also be divine. Have fun experimenting with different flavors by adding herbs and spices at your imagination’s whim.
Yummus! Hummus Recipe
• 1 – 15-ounce can of garbanzo beans
• 2 tablespoons garbanzo water reserved from the can
• 1 cup Original Yumm! Sauce
• 2 tablespoons lemon juice
• a few cloves of fresh garlic
• salt and pepper to taste
Optional add-ins: fresh basil, cilantro leaves, rosemary, paprika, cumin, chipotle powder, curry powder, olives, jalapenos, avocado, roasted red peppers, sundried tomatoes, roasted beets, or feta cheese.
1. Drain the can of garbanzo beans, reserving 2 tablespoons of the water.
2. Combine all ingredients and blend until smooth.
3. Taste to add salt, pepper, and other dried spices if desired. You can also drizzle a little olive oil on top for a lovely presentation.
4. Store in a sealed container and refrigerate.